Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Week 5 Reflection

                   In general, this week’s reading on assessment left me feeling a bit glazed over, as these kinds of readings always have. I always tend to get concepts like validity and reliability mixed up, even if I studied them and got them correct on assessment in college. The concepts of formative and summative are familiar and straight forward and I include both types in my teaching. In my general music classes, I use a combination of written tests and performance tests that I grade with a rubric. I use fewer performance tests because they are extremely time consuming, even though I think they are very valuable.
                
          I am overwhelmed by all the ways to use technology in assessment and left feeling discouraged. There are certainly many possibilities, but my time is very limited, and our school has a limited amount of technology and even less support. I would be trying to navigate all of these assessment tools on my own, and there would inevitably be glitches. I suppose the key is to take baby steps.
             
          I like the idea of using Google Forms to create online quizzes that can be graded automatically, even though with our limited number of computers, it might be difficult to have access to computers to complete these kinds of assessments. The idea of using clickers   in student response systems is appearling. I would like to be able to see how many of my students understand with the safety of anonymity. The challenge is, again, lack of technology. We simply don’t have enough computers to make this a normal part of instruction, and in our school, students are not permitted to use cell phones. I also like the idea of using technology to assess musical performance. If I could assess pitch and rhythmic accuracy outside the classroom, this would save considerable time correcting errors in class and it could motivate students to achieve benchmarks at a faster pace.
               
           I already use some technology for assessment, so perhaps I shouldn’t be too discouraged.  I use video and audio recording so that my students can observe and evaluate their own performances, although this is more informal.  Also, the students and parents in my school have access to their grades at all times via our district-wide gradebook that they can access online.


            In the reading on instructional design, I was particularly struck with the idea of backward design, and would like to use this more in my teaching. I have heard of this before and it makes so much sense as an educational model.  Yet I tend to go about it as teachers often do—first with learning activities, then with a desired outcome, then with an assessment. 

2 comments:

  1. Maria,

    I understand how time consuming it can be to assess performances. I used to spend days at a time assessing students which took away a lot of time from rehearsing and caused some discipline issues. You may consider what other sources your students have available to them. Do they have smart devices that they can record themselves performing from home? Do they have computers and or the Internet at their houses that they can use to take the tests?

    I am interested in learning more about Google forms in order to do tests also. I did not realize that this was even a possibility until this summer. I have asked kids to use smart phones to record themselves playing, and then they would email their files to me. This has saved tons of rehearsal time, and the students tend to practice their instruments more. I would talk to your administration about possibly allowing the use of smart phones in your classroom . I have had my students download tuners on their phones, which has saved rehearsal time too. Now they use their phones to look up the songs they are preparing on JWPepper and/or Stanton's website and will practice along with the recordings.

    I would be interested in seeing your performance rubric that you have used in the past! Would you mind emailing it to me via blackboard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,
    I totally understand why you feel discouraged. I was teaching in a district in Wisconsin that provided a chrome book to every student. They were allowed to take these chrome books home and use them for homework. It made our district nearly paper-free, all assessments were done on the chrome books. And, I have to tell you, it was so handy and helpful and made my job as a music teacher so much easier. The truth is, if they have to choose between you using the chrome cart for composition and the literacy coach using it for reading fluency, the music teacher is always going to lose. And that is the situation I find myself in currently. My husband and I moved across the country to Oregon, and I found that my new district had very little technology available, and even less if you are the music teacher! Other teachers were allowed to check out the one chrome cart that is at our school, but I was not. The lack of tech here discourages me. I have so much training on google forms, and I know just how helpful they can be. Unfortunately my knowledge is pretty useless here, where most teachers don't even know what Google Drive is. I am hoping that with time, these issues resolve themselves. If you have the opportunity to develop some Google forms, I think you will find they streamline the assessment process quite a bit. I also would be interested in seeing your performance rubric. Did you use that rubric for general music or do you also teach ensemble classes? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete