Friday, July 8, 2016

Week 1 Reading Reflection

          This week's reading brought to my attention the fact that  my teaching is not "technology-based". Bauer quotes Dorfman, defining "technology-based music instruction (TBMI)" as instruction in which "technology is the major medium by which music concepts and skills are introduced, reinforced, and assessed" (Bauer, 2014, xiii).  He also writes that the implication is that students are more engaged with the technology "rather than simply with the "products of technology work that the teacher has prepared" (xiii). The technology I have used tends to fall more in the latter category. We are not equipped with a music lab with digital audio workstations (although I'm thinking of purchasing some kind of equipment that I could store in the facilities I already have). I do use the Smartboard to introduce new concepts and show videos, but for the most part, what I do tends to fall into what Dorfman called "teacher-prepared" rather than students interacting more directly with it. The most "technology-based" project I had my students engage in was a project in which that had to create a chord progression on a free program called "jam studio" in which they could enter their chord progression and then add instrumentation, and different styles to it.
       
           Apparently my situation is not unique; I learned in chapter one about a "technology integration gap". It is an integral part of our lives, but there are barriers that prevent it from being more integrated in the music classroom like "a lack of computers, inadequate  technical support, and insufficient professional development to acquire the pedagogical understanding necessary for effectively integrating technology" (p. 9)".  Of these, barriers the two latter ones impact me the most; Although I could probably acquire the technology, maintaining it would be one of the most significant barriers. I would love to acquire my own music lab with GarageBand, but the tech company that maintains our equipment now already can't keep up and teachers may wait for several weeks before a technological problem is resolved.

           Although it does not seem like we are at this point yet (at least not in music classrooms), as with any new trend, there is a danger of taking it to an extreme. If our students are already so immersed in technology, how much really benefits them in the music classroom? I support the use of technology in the music classroom to some extent, but I think there is a real danger of becoming "alone together", an environment where everyone has their eyes on their own screen with their headphones on, not to mention, a very sedentary one. I think there is a real and growing need for authentic connection with others and movement and in some ways, too much technological immersion is causing this. I think the beauty of the general music classroom is that we can make music together, or dance, or speak together in real space in real time; We can connect to others and our own humanity by making music together in the physical world. Although technology can and certainly has enhanced our muscial creativity and experiences, we must be careful that it doesn't supplant some of the more organic experiences that are part of our essence.

          Even with these apprehensions in mind, I would still like to integrate more "technology-based music instruction" primarily as a means for student composition. As Bauer mentions, "traditionally, music composition has been taught with manuscript paper and a pencil, and sometimes has involved experimentation with an acoustic instrument such as a piano (p. 15).  I have attempted (with some success) to do this with my general music classes, and it can be difficult and overwhelming considering the limited musical knowledge that they have to first create a musical idea, and then to write it down. I think the technology could be used in this circumstance to allow students exercise their creativity, get the general idea of how writing music works, but have the computer do the hard work of writing out the music, without having the students get frustrated. I also really like the idea of having students create loops since these seems accessible and I would really like some easy ways to incorporate this. Perhaps a tablet of sorts would be appropriate for my general music classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Maria,

    I currently teach in a lab with keyboards and computers for my high-school general music classes. I have found that there are composition software options for any student level. For my adaptive music class I have used http://www.classicsforkids.com/games/compose/compose.html and http://www.exploratorium.edu/music/exhibits/index.html. These sites would be perfect for elementary age students. For my more advanced classes I use Noteflight and Sibelius. If you are limited by the number of devices you have available, making class compositions can be a lot of fun, too. This also helps students learn to use the technology before they are expected to use it on their own. Good luck getting devices for your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,

    I appreciate your concern that too much technology can create an environment where students become "alone together." This is not a circumstance that I thought of when I reflected on all of the benefits of using technology in a music classroom, but it is definitely thought-provoking.

    Many students in my ensemble spend a lot of their time relying on their technology (phones, iPads, etc.) as opposed to interacting with those around them. I have students who simply can not focus solely on rehearsing their band music, or focus on me talking to them, because they are so immersed in the digital world. With this being said, though, I have to wonder if these students would be able to remain on task if a technological project required the use of a device that gives them access to social media. Might students actually stay more focused on the project because using technology is something familiar and enjoyable for them? Would they work more collaboratively and share their ideas since they were born in into technology age? Regardless of the answers to these questions, I believe it is our job as educators to ensure that the activity does not allow students to become "alone together" and are interacting with one another socially and musically. This will be especially true as technology continues to advance and highly relied upon in the educational atmosphere.

    Many of us music educators share the same difficulties to acquiring and using technology to its maximum educational potential, so I hope this course helps us all out! Though I am sure we will learn about various technologies and how to use them, I think it will be important to consider some of the negative effects of using technology incorrectly in an educational setting. Thank you for bringing this point to attention!

    ReplyDelete